Friday, January 29, 2010

End of and Era

So I quit Rokbar last Thursday. I worked there from May 2009 till, obviously, January 2010.
Here at my other job, at the end of projects, we may have a "Lessons learned" discussion. Why should ending this job be any different? Therefore I feel this job termination REQUIRES a lessons learned discussion.

Lesson 1: Part time jobs unrelated to anything you went to school for are actually a good idea.

Sure, working at a bar does not really make me enough money to sustain a lifestyle that includes a home, car, food or water, but it was really enjoyable to have a job that i went into becuase i think i would enjoy it, and not because oh damn well i learned this in school so i better do it.


Lesson 2: Dressing like a hooker is not as cool as one would think.

So some background here for all of you who are not aware. The rokbar uniform was a kilt the size of a hand napkin, a tank top, fishnet stockings and black high heels. Basically if i walked anywhere in that, i would get hooted at and a get a lot of cat calls. That is outside the bar. Inside the bar is another story. When you work there and you are not behind the bar, dressing like that gives drunk guys the notion that I am there just to appease them. So they think that smacking my ass or blatantly grabbing my boobs is acceptable. The worst part is when you are talking to a guy and after about 30 minutes he asks "so are you here with your friends?".....really?? the fact that all the bartenders are wearing the same thing did not tip you off? just becuase i am not behind the bar sometimes, guys think that girls wear that? I have never worn anything that revealing in my life, and to be honest, I will never do that again. The way that guys look at you like you are a piece of meat, it is insulting! i would rather have guys talk to me when my ass is not showing :) make sense? yeah it does

Lesson 3: Dressing like a hooker = confidence boost

Yeah so I am contradicting the last lesson, but it is true. Sure confidence comes from within also, but when yo dress that way and guys notice you and not that other girl over there, it does make you feel good. Or when a guy tips you $100 just cause. And when girls give you the most disgusted stares cause you look this way. Yeah. Confidence :)

Lesson 4: In the end, keep with what you know

While working there, alot of people said that I was one of the only workers that looked like I did not belong working there. They did not mean it as an insult but as ust a general comment. I knew this was true, but in the end, it was true. I did not really belong there. too many things pissed me off; like how the manager assumed I was a criminal. It made me feel like a worthless employee really.

Anyways, all in all it was a great experience and I will probably work at a bar again. just not one that requires me to look ridiculous and one with a higher age than 19-21 year old boys who still think that slutty girls are the classies girls of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment